Friday, June 1, 2012

Burning Birkins, Bitch.

I've been moving this past week so sorry for the lack of posts, or whatever. Anyway, a while ago I decided Francesca Eastwood is fucking cool. I found out there's this new show called Mrs. Eastwood and Company that I figured was about Clint Eastwoods family... and it is. But I haven't seen it and probably won't - but this is all irrelevant. There's been some crazy controversy around something Francesca and her photographer bf Tyler Shields did that I heard was aired on the show this week (or talked about, or something?)

The 'something controversial' in question was this photo series;

BIRKIN
"For the people who don’t know a Birkin is the most sought after bag in the entire world there is a waiting list and some of them can run upwards of $100,000. This is the red Crocodile Birkin VS the red $200 chainsaw and 4 dollars of gasoline!"
 

THIS IS FUCKING AWESOME.
I know people everywhere are up in arms that someone could 'waste' 100K on a handbag. What I think is interesting is that I do think art is based a lot on however you choose to interpret it - maybe this is art, maybe it's not - but I would like to know why everyone is getting upset that someone 'wasted' money destroying a Birkin to make a statement when there are tons of people carrying 100K handbags for vanity or self-worth? Is that not also, to some degree wasting money? Shouldn't those people also be chastised for wasting their money on a handbag rather than helping the homeless/hungry? There is nothing controversial here - to me, this is far less offensive than the Kardashians toting around brand new Birkins every week! Honestly, if Francesca was spotted simply carrying this bag, no one would give two shits about the 100K she spent for vanity purposes instead of giving the money to the homeless/hungry.
The fact that a handbag can cost more than a mortgage is a problem. People spending that kind of money on handbags (and other material items) everyday is a problem. But it's still their money and what they choose to do with those handbags (or any other material item) is an irrelevant by-product.
I bet at some point 90% of people have purchased something for material purposes with money that could have fed a homeless person dinner - I know I have, we're all guilty. Is is right? Certainly not. Should we be more aware of the things around us? Absolutely. By no means am I saying no one cares or helps out when they can but a lot of us have had moments where that gorgeous new dress or hi-def television was exactly what we wanted and we worked hard, so dammit, we deserve it. A lot of people may not agree with what was done to the Birkin but unless you've never spent a selfish penny or you're a huge philanthropist doing a shit ton of work to help with the poverty then be my guest and criticize but don't cast stones while living in a glass house.
No one cares that she spent 100K on a handbag they care that she destroyed a handbag worth 100K... and that's the problem.
Whatever, I think the photo set is fucking rad.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ 

Anyway, after seeing this series I had to check out more of his work; here's some of my favorite stuff.

MOUTHFUL


LOUIS VUITTON

CHRISTIAN LOUBOUTIN


OCCUPIED
 Anyway if you want to check out more of his shit TYLERSHIELDS.COM 


Like I said, I've been moving this past week and I'm still settling in but more frequent posting should resume in the next few days. In the meantime check out tatteredtights.tumblr.com, I usually get on there once a day or so.

TGIF Bitches and Bros

Xo
Alix Kat

No comments:

Post a Comment